Monday, August 13, 2012

Orphan Block Idea

 We all have orphan blocks laying around that are just too nice to throw away.  I save mine for just such an occasion as this.  This beautiful block was given to me unassembled by my wonderful friend, Alice.  The navy blue star in the center was also part of the gift and is a chenille star by Rhonda Horvath.  She has so many lovely designs.  I have a few more I have not made yet.



These pictures don't really do it justice.  The burgundy looks much redder in these pictures than it really is.  

Anyway, another passion of mine is music.  I play violin/fiddle and mandolin.  My husband got a great deal/steal on Ebay on this violin case, but it had some ugly red lettering on the front of the case.  I knew right away this was a great place to use a quilt block, and this is how it now looks.  I wish I would have taken a before picture to show you the difference, but now I carry my quilting passion to my music opportunities as well.  

I used fabric glue to hold it down and also did some applique stitch as best I could to reinforce it.  I think the glue would have held just fine, but in this case I was able to give it a little insurance.  Has anyone else out there had any luck with gluing blocks to things?  It would be nice to get your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in leaving a comment. Sorry for the verification, but I have had a lot of trouble with spam lately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...