Saturday, September 10, 2011

Half Square Triangles Made Easy


There are always many ways to do things in quilting. Some techniques work better for one than another. We all have our favorite ways of doing something. I would love to hear from you on what your favorite way is.

One of my favorite ways is to use the Wondercut Ruler. This goes so fast for me, and I can do many quickly. This method requires that you cut strips which are determined by the Wondercut ruler. You then sew a quarter inch seam on both sides of two strips that are put right sides together. You then cut triangles with the Wondercut ruler and have many quickly. See the tutorial at: Wondercut Ruler.

Another method I have used is Thangles or paper that is printed with the seams on it. You cut your fabric the size of the paper and pin the paper to the two pieces of fabric and sew along the preprinted lines. I have a link to a website in the Free Stuff column on the right that gives you papers you can print out for free in sizes from 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch finished units generously given by Quilting and Whatnot. Check out this great website. There are patterns and other things there as well. I do have a computer program that I purchased from the Quiltpro people that does the half square triangle papers to print out in any size, but this is free for everyone with Internet. Check out Quilting and Whatnot .

The following video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company is one of the best and easiest ideas I have seen yet!  I love this easy way to make half sqare triangles.  Click on the video below and see what I mean.



Below is yet another method I am going to try.  I went to the Sewing Expo in Madison, Wisconsin this week and found this new tool called a Tucker Trimmer, and was instantly enamored.  I had to try it.  So this came home with me, and I will be trying this on my next half square triangle event.  Click on the video below to see how it works:



Okay, what do you do with all of your half square triangle units?  There is a wealth of patterns to use scrap half square triangle blocks at Bonnie Hunter's Quiltsville. You will be amazed

I love how generous some quilters can be. When looking around the Internet for you I am finding so many wonderful tutorials, patterns, and helps from wonderful and generous quilters throughout the world. I will be posting these links for you as I find them. I know those that have gone through the trouble of making tutorials and leaving information for you love to hear how it has helped you. So don't be afraid to leave comments to those sites. They live for your comments.

Soon I will be posting about different ways to do flying geese, so come on back for ideas on different ways to make the elusice perfect flying geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in leaving a comment. Sorry for the verification, but I have had a lot of trouble with spam lately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...